five ACCESSORIES is one of the most triple bottom line businesses you will encounter. five ACCESSORIES is a wholesale business whose mission is to empower and deliver sustainable livelihoods for workers and their communities through the sale of eco-friendly and fair traded, locally made products. Products can be found in over 150 national retail stores.
Christine Hutchison and her husband Wells founded the company during their honeymoon five years ago. While there, they met a Balinese tour guide who told them how much difference five dollars a month can make to a Balinese family. While admiring the beautiful handbags and jewelry made by local artisans, the couple was inspired to start five ACCESSORIES, a company that embodies both their entrepreneurial and philosophic zeal.
Christine shares with us what it took to build this business up, with advice on:
- What it takes to start a wholesale business as a importer of global handicrafts
- Where to identify trustworthy suppliers of fair trade products, if you don’t have the freedom to travel around the world all year long
- What it takes to be Fair Trade Certified
- The one deadly mistake she made when starting her business, and her advice to entrepreneurs on how to avoid making the same error
Mentioned in this Podcast
- Fair Trade Federation
- Green America
- Chicago Fair Trade
- Social Enterprise Alliance
- TOMS Shoes
Where to Find five ACCESSORIES
- Visit five Accessories Website
- Connect with them on five Accessories Facebook Page
- Follow five Accessories on Twitter
- Subscribe to five Accessories YouTube Channel
Hire Me to Increase Your Online Visibility & Grow Your Tribe
I am available for one on one coaching to help you improve your online visibility and grow your tribe. I also provide “done for you” agency services for changemakers that have the budget to entrust their online marketing to experts.
Ask Me Questions or Share Your Feedback
- Comment in the show notes
- Leave a voicemail message by clicking on the Send a Voicemail Message tab on the right
- Leave a note on the Entrepreneurs for a Change Facebook Page
Please Connect with Us!
Connect with Lorna
Facebook Page: Lorna Li
Connect with Entrepreneurs for a Change
Facebook Page: Entrepreneurs for a Change
Please Review this Podcast
If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a 5-star review in iTunes & a 5-star review in Stitcher!
This will help us reach and inspire more people with stories of entrepreneurs who are changing the world.
Eric Smith of Monster Beach Studio for creating our Entrepreneurs for a Change Theme Song
This post may contain links to products or services with which I have an affiliate relationship. I may receive commissions or bonuses from your actions on such links.
Join the Movement of Changemaking Entrepreneurs
Latest posts by Lorna Li (see all)
- [E4C21] Design Kompany – Uncover the Storytelling Power of Your Brand - February 18, 2014
- [E4C20] Dominate Depression – How Entrepreneurs Can Stay Productive & Inspired During Challenging Times - February 11, 2014
- [E4C19] Timelapse Strategies – How to Get Massive Exposure on YouTube by Sharing Your Genius - February 6, 2014